How your dentist in Victorville, CA, can help when you wear dentures
When you wear dentures, it can be a bit confusing how to care for them. You want to get the most beauty and durability from your denture, so you need to care for them properly. Dr. Fahed Hattar at Dr. Hattar Dental and Orthodontics in Victorville, CA, offers a wide range of dental services, including dentures.
To properly clean your dentures, remember to:
- Remove your dentures and rinse them after you eat; this helps to remove food debris which can irritate your soft tissue.
- Gently wipe your soft tissue with a soft toothbrush or piece of gauze; wiping your tissue helps lower bacteria levels.
- Use a denture cleanser to clean your denture daily; this helps remove plaque, debris, and adhesive.
- Use a soaking solution to soak your dentures while you are asleep; soaking keeps your dentures moist and more comfortable to wear.
- Rinse off the soaking solution thoroughly before placing the dentures in your mouth.
There are some important points to remember about denture care, including:
- Always handle your dentures carefully; dentures are durable, but they can still break if they are dropped.
- Avoid bending the plastic or clasps; trying to repair a denture yourself can change the fit and ruin the denture.
- Never sleep with your denture in place; bacteria can build up underneath the denture, causing irritation, inflammation, and infection of your soft tissue.
- Never use abrasive agents, harsh cleaners or chemicals, or any product containing bleach on your denture.
- Never use sharp tools on your denture; sharp tools can leave scratches in the acrylic where bacteria can thrive.
- Don’t clean your dentures with very hot water because it can change the way your denture fits.
Dentures can provide years of excellent smiles and service, especially if you take care of them properly. Cleaning and protecting your dentures can help keep your dentures in great condition.
To learn more about caring for your dentures, call Dr. Fahed Hattar of Dr. Hattar Dental and Orthodontics in Victorville, CA, at (760) 243-3595. Call today!